Friday, March 26, 2010

Hail!

Last Monday Perth experienced the worst storm since 1994 (or in a century...I dunno, the date changes depending on what new program you watch). Needless to say, it was a pretty intense storm, we had heaps of rain and hail stones the size of tennis balls. There was pretty widespread property damage around the city including a mini-mud slide on Mt Eliza which caused a couple of apartments to fill up with sand. At uni the glass in heaps of windows were broken, with lots of damage to trees (there are leaves EVERYWHERE) and parts of the ceiling collasped in a couple of buildings. Plus the 80-year-old glass in Winthrop Hall, one of the university's heritage listed buildings, looks like someone has gone and thrown rocks throw the windows. Although the architecture and education library takes the cake, it filled up with a couple of feet of mud and storm water when the windows smashed from the force of all the strom water flooding in from the road (the library is built a bit below ground). Finally it's estimated that 25, 000 cars were signifcantly damaged in the hail storm.

Luckily, my area didn't seem to get any hail and the only damage we really had was some minor flooding and a possibly broken gutter, we were lucky we didn't loose power some people were still waiting to have their power reconnected yesterday. It was quite bizarre really, it was warm and sunny for most of the day then in about 2 hours it became black and the storm hit and was over.

That was fairly exciting, I found it amusing that on news reports they decided to mention the massive amount of storm related groups/fan pages etc. on social networking sites. Clearly people are still getting used to the internet age and still find it fascinating, even though in a lot of ways we rely on it to function most days.

Other than that life is ok at the moment, handing in first uni assignments with break coming up soon. Work has been annoying, getting in the way of stuff like social interaction but whatever. I guess that's what happens.

I could gripe about a couple of other things that are happening but I know they'd read stupidly when typed up. So that's enough for now. Bye!

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Yeah, I found the hailstorm quite fun, actually. (the aftermath not so much!) I was at uni during it, and when I left at about 6 there was still hail piled up like snowdrifts at the base of all the buildings.

It's also amusing that at home (I live near Mt Lawley) we had walnut-sized hail, whereas not far away in Bedford they only had rain.

Only a week till Easter break :)