Yesterday I finished my last day of employment in the cafe in which I have worked for the last 18 months or so. I was lucky enough to be given a gift voucher and cafe tea pot on my leaving which was very generous of my co workers. It is weird to think that I never have to plan my week around my work schedule or worry about getting a call from work asking to come in at the last minute. It's freeing of course, but it also kind of scary because it means I no longer have an excuse to not prepare for my upcoming trip to Europe.
At the moment I am just looking at things we can do whilst we are in London and I must admit I can't help but get incredibly excited about it. It seems that the hostel we will be staying in is quite close to the West End and if I can convince my friend whom I'm travelling with to go see a show every night then I'm fairly sure I'll make it happen if I can. Living in Perth we get the occasional big show coming across for a week or so from Melbourne or Sydney but we don't even have a proper venue for them, the have to be played in a multi-purpose venue, which I'm told, is not that great. For this reason we never bother to see them when they come here we always just see them in Melbourne, when we go there. By happy coincidence, when I went to Sydney in year 12 for a drama tour we went to see most of the big musicals that are still running today. And when I went to London in 2004 I saw the Lion King in the same theatre that it is still currently playing in. I had forgotten that shows on the West End often run for years, it's not a luxury we have here in Perth. We don't have enough people or theatres to enjoy that type of entertainment on such a regular basis.
I'm also really excited about shopping in London. I currently have a wardrobe that is not even appropriate for an Australian winter, this being the case most of my clothes for this trip will probably be purchased from Mountain designs. But hopefully, when I'm in London and in Germany I shall be able to accrue some decent winter clothes which I can also wear at home. I'm hoping I shall not have to worry that I don't have an appropriate jacket to go out in ever again. And that I won't have to wear a cardigan that is missing buttons simply because I have nothing else to wear.
I'm glad that I'm getting more excited for this trip before I was a little apprehensive what with all the organising and stuff to be done but now I'm hoping that it will be worth it.
1 comment:
I wish I could lend you some of my things! I have loads of clothes that could help you survive a European winter (really, they're not that bad... LOTS OF SNOW! :D) but they'd probably be too big anyway. Ah, well. Such is life. I'm sure you'll find uses for your awesome winter gear at home!
I'm so excited for your trip to Germany! How long is it until you leave?
Post a Comment