Today is that Saturday before Easter Sunday at least for those who celebrate Easter this weekend. I know some Christian faiths may have a different Easter date and of course, non-Christian religions don't celebrate Easter at all. But this is not going to be a religion-orientated blog.
No, I'm more concerned for today, that is Saturday. Nothing notable happened today, it's just the space between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Therefore, there is no public holiday today, just one on either side of it. It's just kind of... awkward.
I'm not a religious person anymore, there was a time when I went to church with my mother as a matter of routine and it was weird when I missed a Sunday, whether or not that was because of my devotion to the religion or just because I was young and used to it. Since leaving a Catholic school, I pay little attention to the events in the Church calender and generally don't attend Church. In fact, this particular conversation between mum and me highlights this:
Mum: "I'd like you to come to Church on Sunday."
Me: "Why?"
Mum: "Because it's Easter Sunday."
Me: "Oh.."
I actually had no idea that we were that near Easter. I clearly haven't been paying attention and the shops start selling Easter stuff after Valentines day. So how is someone who is completely based in the secular world, who doesn't go to an institution or work place that has normal public holidays, supposed to know what date Easter Sunday is?
Well, that's about it for today. I did add a blog list to this blog as I'm sure you're already noticed. All the BEDA Moffia crew (that I'm aware of) are on there. Plus I may put on some other blogs that I enjoy reading. If you think you should be on my list but aren't, leave a comment.
2 comments:
I agree entirely about that Easter thing: how are we supposed to know when Easter is? Especially those of us who don't celebrate the Christian Easter date, since our Easter keeps moving. I guess that's why there are calendars. I'm adamant about crossing off each day on my calendar, and it has the dates of the Christian Easter and the Orthodox Easter, so I'll usually know when April finally rolls around, but not before then. Eh.
Also, great minds think alike, Catherine! I was actually just adding all you BEDA bloggers to my favourites list! =)
I never remember when Easter is either, but I don't celebrate it. And we never get pretty chocolate eggs and all here. I didn't even remember it was Easter until this morning, and i didn't know Easter moved until I read your blog. *fail* But I know what you mean. I never remember Persian or Muslim holidays as well, until the day when my parents tell me.
So, did you eat lots of chocolate? =D<3
Post a Comment